Working from home for almost a year now, I often look for fast recipes.
Especially recipes that I can prep for ahead of time to later cook and serve in less than 30 minutes in any workday.
At the same time, I enjoy a flavorful and nourishing meal.
Well, if you’re an eggplant fan, this recipe will not disappoint and can be prepped ahead of time to be served for multiple days.
This roasted Eggplant Salad, often called Eggplant Fatteh, is a classic Levantine appetizer, very easy to make, nutritious, and vegetarian!
The good news for vegans is that you can replace the Greek yogurt with vegan yogurt. And it would still satisfy your taste buzz because the secret is in the spicing!
Now, are you ready to try this recipe? I promise you’ll be making it over and over again!
How to make this recipe
Roasted Eggplants Salad
- 2 Eggplants
- 2 Medium-size tomatoes
- 1 Pita bread
- 1 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Pomegranate molasses
- 6 tbsp Olive oil
- Chili Lime (or Chili)
- All Spices
- Garlic Powder
- Sea Salt
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 spoons Tahini sauce
- 4 clove garlic
- Sea salt
- Garlic powder
- Almonds and/or pine nuts
- Pomegranate seeds
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Chop the eggplant into 1-inch cubes
- In a large bowl, place the eggplant cubes, toss 1/3 cup (4tbs) of olive oil,11/2 tbs of chili lime, 1tbs of sea salt, 2 tbs of Sumac, 1 tbs of Allspice, and mix well
- Cut the pita into 1-inch cubes
- Cut the scallion and tomatoes into small pieces
- Mince 4 cloves of garlic
- Place the eggplant on one baking sheet (avoid layering, use 2 sheets if necessary) and bake in the oven for 40 mins at 425F until eggplant is soft and golden
- Just before you’re ready to serve, on medium-high heat, place the roasted eggplant in a pot, add 2 tbs of olive oil and sauté them for a few minutes
- Add the tomato/pomegranate mix (below). This is an optional step, I found sautéing the eggplants again before serving to be flavor enriching as in the original recipe, the eggplants are supposed to be deep-fried.
- Place pita bread on a baking sheet and roast for 5-7 mins until brown and crunchy
Yogurt Tahini Topping
- In a small bowl, add the yogurt, tahini, 1 tbs of sea salt, ½ tbs of garlic powder, and 4 minced garlic cloves
- Mix until all flavors blend in
Tomatoes and Scallion + Serving sauce:
- On medium heat, add 1tbs of olive oil in a small pot, add the chopped tomatoes and scallions, 1 tbs of sumac, and stir for a minute then set aside
- You can also skip sautéing them if you’d like a more fresh taste
Pine-nuts & Almonds:
- Roast the pine nuts and almonds in a small frying pan
- In a serving deep dish, add one layer of roasted bread
- Add the tomatoes and scallions, then the eggplants
- Top those layers with the yogurt tahini mix
- Add the roasted pine nuts and almonds and some pomegranate seeds
I made this salad for my friends many times, it is light, easy to share, and a crowd pleaser!
The most important thing is to layer the ingredients when you’re ready to serve. This helps to keep the crunchiness of the pita.
Try this roasted eggplants salad recipe and let us know what you think!