Guest Post by Shana at the Sweetly Salty blog. Republished with permission.
This healthy breakfast toast is a great way to start the day and since breakfast is supposed to be “the most important meal of the day” your first meal should probably be a healthy one.
Whether sweet or savory I’ve got you covered with four easy options for healthy breakfast toast. There are only a few ingredients for each toast and they are all items you can find in a regular supermarket.
By now most people have had avocado toast because it has become extremely popular. You can buy it in many places, most of which are overpriced.
Avocado toast is something I’ve only bought twice at a restaurant for this reason. I can’t justify the cost when I can make it myself in a few minutes and for much less money.
Especially here in New York City the cost can easily be $8.00 for one slice of bread cut in half. Seriously?? That’s a hard pass for me. It takes about 10 minutes, and you can tailor it to your specific tastes.
Healthy breakfast toast can be sweet- naturally sweet not sugary sweet. When I want a sweet but healthy breakfast I usually toast sprouted bread and add unsweetened almond butter and slices of banana. It gives me the sweet taste I’m seeking but is still good for me.
The four toasts I am including- avocado, tomato and cucumber, smoked salmon with cream cheese and capers, and almond butter and banana are SUPER simple, easy to put together, and delicious.
These toasts offer a lot of variety- vegan, pescatarian, sweet, or savory. These are just some ideas to get you started. Feel free to get creative and come up with your own toppings for a healthy breakfast toast. Whatever you decide on be sure to enjoy it. After all, it’s just toast. ?
How to make healthy breakfast toast
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Course: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Servings: 4
- 4 slices Sprouted bread
- 1 Avocado, mashed
- 1 Scallion, chopped
- 1 tbsp Lime juice fresh
- 1/4 tsp Red pepper flakes
- 1 Tomato sliced
- 1/2 Cucumber sliced
- drizzle Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp Almond butter unsweetened
- 1/2 Banana sliced
- 2 slices Smoked salmon
- 1 tbsp Cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp Dill dried
- 1 tsp Capers
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Toast the bread.
- AVOCADO– Cut avocado in half lengthwise, remove the pit and scoop out the flesh into a small mixing bowl. Add the lime juice and sea salt to taste. Mix and mash with a fork. Smear the avocado mash onto a slice of toasted bread. Sprinkle on chopped scallion and red pepper flakes.
- CUCUMBER & TOMATO– Drizzle the slice of toast with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil. Slice the cucumber and tomato and layer on top of the toast. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper to taste.
- ALMOND BUTTER & BANANA– Smear the almond butter onto the toast. Slice the banana and layer on top.
- SMOKED SALMON & CREAM CHEESE– Smear the cream cheese onto the toast, add the capers. Layer the smoked salmon on top and sprinkle on the dill.
If you’ve never purchased sprouted bread here’s an article that highlights some good brands as well as info about what sprouted bread is- Best Sprouted Bread. I love sprouted bread but ultimately use the bread you like best.
A drizzle of honey also goes nicely on the almond butter and banana toast. These toppings are just starting off points. Feel free to make modifications. Maybe throw an egg on top!
Toast is like the chicken of breakfast. It’s basically a blank canvas waiting for you to flavor it as you see fit. Have fun with it, get creative but try to keep it healthy.
If you’re looking for another healthy option breakfast check out my recipe for Healthy Pancakes because who doesn’t love pancakes??
Happy cooking, happy eating!
About the Author: Shana, a native of Brooklyn and life long lover of all things food. Cooking, baking, creating new recipes, and sharing a meal with friends and family are among her favorite things to do. Find ideas for healthy snacks, holiday dishes, vegan meals, decadent desserts and more on her blog: Sweetly Salted. Connect with her on Instagram