In this post you’ll learn about the health benefits of eating unripe bananas.
Unripe bananas are also called as green bananas. Bananas are variable in size, shading, and solidness.
Normally curved and elongated, with delicate substance secured with a skin that is rich in starch, banana might be green, yellow, red, purple, or earthy colored when in a ripped state.
You probably know that bananas in general are healthy.
But here’s the good news. Unripe bananas are rich in potassium, magnesium, and pectin. They are also antioxidant-rich fruit Vitamin C & B6.
Differences between ripe and unripe banana
|Ripe Banana||Unripe Banana|
|Rich in flavor and soft textured||Bitter in taste and firm texture|
|Yellow or brown spots on ripped banana||Appear green in color and waxy|
|Less in dietary fiber||Rich in resistant starch|
|Take less time to digest||Take more time to digest|
|The Glycemic index is high||The Glycemic index is low|
|Sugar content is high||Rich in Probiotic bacteria|
|91% is digestible sugar||Have less digestible sugar, goof for diabetes type2 patients|
|Rich in antioxidants||Antioxidant level is low in unripe banana|
|Avoid giving diabetes type 2 patient||Sometimes cause bloating|
Health benefits of unripe banana
The following are the health benefits of unripe bananas:
1. Helps reduce weight in obese people
Unripe green bananas are rich in dietary fiber which are also known as resistant starch.
It takes longer to digest and remain longer in the gastrointestinal tract which gives the feeling of satiety (fullness).
It increases the metabolism of carbohydrates. And this causes less accumulation of fat and increases lipolysis which assists in weight reduction. (Also see 10 Foods That’ll Significantly Boost Your Metabolism)
2. May help prevent colonic cancer
Digestion of undigested starch present in green banana is not done in the small intestine.
That is why they enter the large intestine where the probiotic microbes of lumen start fermenting those starches form short-chain unsaturated fats (SCFA),
Among these, butyrate is utilized by the colonocytes and other SCFA.
Butyrate repressed the malignancy of intestinal epithelial cells (colon) and cause suppression of neoplastic cell activity.
3. Can help treat diarrhea
Diarrhea is one of the well-known diseases of (GIT) gastrointestinal tract of children and adults. The green bananas are used to treat a diarrheal condition known as the green banana diet.
The resistant starch present in unripe bananas binds with the extra water present in the lumen of the intestines and gives the firmness and bulk to stool.
Maybe Flavonoids and saponins present in unripe banana have an anti-diarrheal activity to treat diarrheal conditions by suppressing the motility of the intestines.
4. Has hypoglycemic effects
Unripe banana has resistant starches (RS) in high quantity. This RS help in lowering the blood glucose level by increasing insulin sensitivity.
Resistant starches slowly digested and their glycemic index is low than other carbohydrates source.
This low glycemic property of unripe bananas results in the improved insulinemic state in patients by decreasing postprandial sugar levels.
5. Has anti-ulcer genic effects
Green bananas have anti-inflammatory and ulcer genic property due to the presence of phenolic compounds.
These compounds help in suppressing the production of histamines. And this in turn, causes the protection of gastric mucosa from the acidic environment of the stomach.
6. May improve cholesterol
Resistant starch (RS) present in green bananas (unripe) tends to have a reduced amounts of:
- total fats
- high and low-density lipoproteins, and
- total cholesterol
RS can modify the low-density lipoproteins (LDL) to reduce the risk of CVD. Also, RS undigested portion lessens the blood cholesterol and plasma triglycerides level by binding with extra cholesterol and excrete into feces.
7. Enhances mineral absorption
Various examinations that RS of unripe banana could have a positive part in the absorption of minerals.
Absorption of calcium, phosphorus, iron, and zinc can be absorbed in intestines during digestion of resistant starches.
The outcomes come that consumption of a diet rich in resistant starches (dietary fiber) considerably increases calcium and iron absorption.
When should we eat green bananas?
- When your prone to get diabetic in the prediabetes stage or for treatment of type 2diabetes.
- If you have low levels of potassium green bananas are rich in potassium and known as the best source of potassium from natural foods.
- To increase your satiety levels by ingesting foods having low sugar content. That also helps in weight management.
- If you are suffering from diarrhea. It is given in form of a BRAT diet or green banana diet to treat diarrhea.
- You can eat green bananas to get relief from constipation because they are rich in dietary fibers give bulk to stool and smoothness to pass out.
- You can eat bananas before a workout they help to make you feel energetic throughout your workout session.
- If anyone has IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) should eat green bananas because it also helps to get relief from this condition.
How to use green banana
- You can use green banana in smoothies or milkshakes.
- Eating unripe banana in the form of fries is healthy or you can make green banana chips by frying or by air fryer.
- Also, you can bake green banana just like potatoes you can have it with a pinch of spices and salt and lime juice to add the taste.
- Different desserts taste great with green banana too. And you can add it to salads.
Unripe bananas have many health benefits. They are rich in resistant starches (RS) which is also a dietary fiber.
They can’t be digested furthermore into the small intestine, in the colon undergone the process of fermenting delivering short-chain unsaturated fats that give different medical advantages.
Including control of colon malignant growth, diminished danger of diabetes, decrease in all-out cholesterol, the advancement of development of Healthymicroflora of the colon, improved laxation, weight management, lipid oxidation, antioxidant, and so on.
The reaction of these starches with specific nutrients like Wheat grain, cellulose, and protein further advances its medical advantages.
Unripe banana flour is also commercially used in the making of gluten-free products for a patient of celiac disease.